Monday, February 27, 2012

Disco heavy metal

Fun weekend of playing with big hunks of machinery otherwise known as LandRover bits. Ken Bryant was the main man - I was his willing assistant and dogsbody. The issue was clutch noise at idle when engaging first or reverse which was getting loud and embarrassing.

Dropping the gearbox and tranfer case as a unit is suicide so we separated the transfer box and after a good wash dumped it on the bench for resealing and the addition of the centre diff lock which Landover thoughtfully deleted between 2001 and 2003 after which it was reinstated. Reckon this thing weighs about the same as a bare six pot block - just liftable solo by a mortal.

Next off is the R380 5 speed box which is a descendant of the LT77 so theoretically has some Triumph design input. Off with the clutch and flywheel revealing a very sad spigot bush

Obviously the cheapest part had failed - a two dollar bush !!!

Seeing as I didn't want to go through the whole job again I have put in a billet flywheel instead of the dual mass version and changed the plastic release bearing carrier to a billet aloy one.

Centre diff stripped before adding the revised selector and locking mechanism.

Reassembly as they say is the reverse of disassembly - well it took about as long and there were a few aches this morning.
Also deleted the EGR set up which is meant to do more harm than good and gave it a full service.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

2100 EFI build Part 5

Short engine complete and transferred to the floor before it gets to heavy for two people to easily lift

Cylinder head assembled and ready to fit - uses GT nitrided steel valves in standard PI sizes - 36.5mm inlets and 32 mm ex

Head fitted and ARP studs / nuts torqued to 80lb ft. Kai Raddicke 78mm headgasket currently compressed to 0.043" compared to 0.035" for a Payen gasket. Small amount of Hylomar applied along the spark plug side of the gasket to try and prevent leaks.

Goodparts Roller rockers 1.55 ratio on inlets and 1.65 on exhaust to give desired lifts for valve flow characteristics with GT Hybrid 42R camshaft. Using Cr-Mo tubular pushrods (custom order from Goodparts) which are slightly shorter than shortest 8" Stanpart ones due to heavy head skim to run 11:1 CR.

Found a small issue here with such a large head skim (3.400" PI 218225 head skimmed to 3.260") causing the billet pedastals to interfere with the top of the head studs - soon fixed by touching up the alloy with a die grinder.

Almost ready for swapping over now just a few more bits and bobs to fix up.